Kia ora whanau. We are excited to confirm a move to Alert Level 2 means we can re-open our doors and welcome you back!
Your health and wellbeing continues to be our top priority so we have put many new protocols in place to protect you and ensure your visit to the museum is a safe, enjoyable experience.
We are following Ministry of Health guidelines on social distancing and hygiene, which involves limiting the number of people in the building to no more than 100 at any one time, hand sanitising on arrival and recording of contact details.
Other precautions we are taking include:
- Controlled entry via our main entrance at 1 Tennyson Street
- Contact tracing register at our front counter
- Perspex screens at our counters
- Extra cleaning of surfaces throughout the museum
- Some interactive activities including dress-ups temporarily removed
- Drop-in Zone temporarily closed during Level 2
- Number of attendees at events managed as per government guidelines
- Exhibition installations managed with increased barriers to maintain physical distance
- Portable seating in public spaces removed
- Taped spots on floor leading up to the main counter for social distancing whilst waiting in line
- Eftpos payments rather than cash if possible
- Visitor maps to be taken home with you or disposed of after use
- Reduced number of tables and chairs on the front forecourt
- Pencils not to be returned after Museum Searches are completed, you are welcome to take these home with you
- We will not be running any public programmes other than those which people can do individually or online
Unfortunately, two of our exhibitions are not open during Level 2. Turuturu: Fingers, Feathers & Fibre will remain closed as we cannot guarantee enough space for appropriate physical distancing in our Linkway Gallery. Mystery of History will also remain closed, given the high level of interactive elements in that exhibition.
All other exhibitions are open to the public, and a brand new exhibition opens in late May. Waka Kōrero Māori features the Māori alphabet and delightful animals from our collection. This exhibition is located in our Century Theatre foyer and you can visit it via our Herschell Street entrance.
Entry to all exhibitions is free. Enjoy your visit!
15 May 2020
Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the MTG Hawke's Bay to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, MTG Hawke's Bay shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. MTG Hawke's Bay cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.
© MTG Hawke's Bay - https://www.mtghawkesbay.com / +64 6 835 7781 / firstname.lastname@example.org